An endpoint was found to be using an outdated and potentially vulnerable operating system. Insecure operating systems may be vulnerable to several types of client side attacks which can lead to compromise of the entire endpoint through the unauthorized execution of remote code.
How is this issue discovered?
Agent user strings, data is stored when you browse to a website from the machine you are using.
Upgrade all operating systems to the latest stable build. Many operating system vendors include an auto-update facility which should be enabled.
How can this issue be resolved?
When submitting a Resolution request, please ensure you include supporting evidence where necessary. This will greatly assist us in ensuring your Issue is resolved in a timely manner. Below, please find the potential options when resolving "Outdated Operating System Observed" findings:
- I have fixed this
- All operating systems are updated to the latest released version.
- All operating systems have been patched to the latest released version.
- All operating systems have been re-imaged and updated with the latest browsers.
- I have a compensating control
- We have a third party that auto-patches our operating systems to the latest version.
- The operating systems detected originated from a guest Wifi network.
- I have purchased an extended support contract for Windows 7 from Microsoft.
- This is not my IP or domain
- The IP does not belong to our company.
- These operating systems are originating from (x).
- I cannot reproduce this issue and I think it’s incorrect
- All operating systems are auto patched as soon as an update is available, the listed browsers are on the latest version possible.