In this article:
An endpoint was found to be using an outdated and potentially vulnerable operating system. Insecure operating systems may be vulnerable to several types of client side attacks which can lead to compromise of the entire endpoint through the unauthorized execution of remote code.
How is this issue discovered?
Agent user strings, data is stored when you browse to a website from the machine you are using.
Upgrade all operating systems to the latest stable build. Many operating system vendors include an auto-update facility which should be enabled.
How can this issue be resolved?
When submitting a Resolution request, please ensure you include supporting evidence where necessary. This will greatly assist us in ensuring your Issue is resolved in a timely manner. If you submit an issue under "I have a compensating control" without adding any evidence that states what the compensating control is, the request for resolution will be declined. Below, please find the potential options when resolving "Outdated Operating System Observed" findings:
- I have fixed this
- All operating systems have been re-imaged and are no longer EOL.
- I have a compensating control
- The operating systems detected originated from a guest Wifi network that is fully segmented from production infrastructure.
- I have purchased an extended support contract for Windows 7 from Microsoft.
- This is not my IP or domain
- The IP does not belong to our company.
- I cannot reproduce this issue and I think it’s incorrect
- All operating systems are auto patched as soon as an update is available, the listed browsers are on the latest version possible and the version reported is incorrect.