In this article:
Some updates to tagging are in Early Access release for a limited group of SecurityScorecard customers. If you would like to explore these updates in the platform, contact your Customer Success Manager.
Use tags to easily organize, filter, and find Scorecards, digital assets, and issue findings based on contexts that are meaningful to your organization. You can categorize items any way you want:
- Tag Scorecards according to contexts such as company size, geographic location, industry segment, score trends, or breach histories.
- Tag Scorecards for competitors, cloud service providers, prospective vendors or clients, or vendors you want to avoid.
- Tag Scorecards with the names of teammates assigned to engage with those organizations.
- Tag IPs or domains to assign them to team members for remediation.
- Give items multiple tags so that you can include them search results for different filters.
Tip: Anyone in your organization with a SecurityScorecard account can create or assign tags, and your tags are only visible to your organization.
Create tags two different ways:
- Create them in the platform.
- Create them outside of the platform and then upload them.
Create tags in the SecurityScorecard platform
Create tags for:
- A specific Scorecard on that Scorecard's page
- A Scorecard in a Portfolio
- An IP or domain
- Findings for an issue type
To create a tag for a specific Scorecard:
- Select the Scorecard from one of your Portfolios.
- On the right side of the Scorecard header, click Add tag and then select the Create Tag.
- In the Create Tag dialog, enter a unique name, provide a description if it is helpful, and click Save.
- Click Add Tag again, search for the new tag, select it, and then click Apply changes.
The new tag appears in the header.
To create tags for Scorecards in a portfolio:
- Select Portfolios from the top navigation bar. Then select the Portfolio where you want to apply tags.
- To create a tag without assigning it, click Apply Tags above the Scorecards table without selecting any Scorecards. You can assign tags separately at any time.
To create a tag and immediately assign it, first select one or more Scorecards and then click Apply Tags.
- In the Tagging panel, click Create Tag.
Note: If you first selected Scorecards to tag, the number of selections is displayed.
- Enter a unique name, provide a description if it is helpful, and click Save.
- Search for the tag, select it, and then click Save.
If you selected Scorecards in the first step, the new tag is assigned to them.
To create tags for IP addresses or domains:
- Select a Scorecard from a Portfolio.
- On the Scorecard, select Digital Footprint.
- In the Scorecard's Digital Footprint, select IPs or Domains, depending on what you want to tag
- In the IPs or Domains table, select all the items you want to tag, or select the top row to select all of them. Then, click Apply Tags.
- In the Tagging pane that appears, click Create Tag.
- In the Create Tag dialog, enter a name for the new tag and click Save.
- Search for the new tag if necessary, select it, and then click Save.
The new tag is applied to the selected items.
To create tags for issue findings:
- For any issue type, go to the Findings table and click Add Tag under a finding that you want to tag.
- In the pop-up dialog that appears, click Manage tags.
- In the Tagging panel that appears, click Create tag.
Tip: You also can assign an existing tag to the finding.
- In the Create Tag panel that appears, enter a name for the tag and click Save.
- Click Save to finish assigning the tag to the finding.
The new tag appears below the finding.
Tip: Hover over any tagged finding to show the Edit icon if you want to create or assign other tags for the finding.
Upload a .csv file of tags
Uploading your own tags is useful in various situations, such as the following:
- You want to use a large number of tags quickly.
- You want to use the same tags that you use with other tools. For example, if you use unique identifiers for different organizations in your database, you can apply those identifiers as tags.
Note: Make sure to format your .csv file correctly to avoid upload errors and make your tags ready to use as soon as possible. Use the template provided in the following steps, or see our formatting guidelines.
- In your Portfolio table or Digital Footprint asset table, click Apply Tags.
- In the Tagging dialog, click Create Tag.
- In the Create tag dialog, click Upload Tags.
- To make sure you format your .csv file correctly, download the sample, which you can then use to create your file. Or if you have a file that meets our formatting guidelines, go to the final step.
- Edit the sample file:
For Scorecard tags:
For IP tags:
For domain tags:
- Overwrite the generic tag names with the ones you want.
- If you want to group the tags, enter group names.
- For Scorecard tags: If you want to associate tags with specific domains, overwrite the generic domain names with the ones you want. After you upload the tags, they will be assigned to Scorecards corresponding to your selected domains. You can also assign tags after uploading them.
Note: If you do not use the optional Tag Group Name or Domain Name column, make sure to delete it to prevent any problems with empty values or incorrect tag assignments.
- When you save the file, make sure its format is still .csv. If the file extension changes to that of the spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel (.xlsx), export the file to .csv instead.
- After you save the file, open it in a text editor to verify that its formatting is correct.
- In the Upload Tags dialog, click Upload.csv file, find and select the file, and click Save.
If the upload fails because of formatting problems, make any changes based on our formatting guidelines, and try again.
The successfully uploaded tags are ready to use.
You can assign any number of tags to:
- Multiple Scorecards in a Portfolio
- A single Scorecard in a Portfolio
- IPs or domains
Assign tags to multiple Scorecards, IP addresses, or domains
- In your Portfolio or Digital Footprint, select the items you want to tag, and click Apply tags.
- In the Tagging panel, either scroll to find the tag you want and select it or start typing its name and then select it.
Tip: Click Create Tag to create and assign a new tag to the selected Scorecards.
- Select any other tags you want and click Save.
The tag is applied to your items.
Assign tags to a single Scorecard, IP address, or domain
- In the Custom Tags column of your Portfolio or Digital Footprint table, click the Edit icon for an item you want to tag, or click Add for an item that has no tags assigned.
- Edit the tag assignments for the item:
- Select tags to assign them.
- Create and assign new tags.
- Clear the selections of any previously assigned tags displayed at the top of the pop-up.
- Click Apply changes.
The selected item is reflects your changes.
Create a tag group
Use logical groupings of tags to combine segments of Scorecards in useful ways. For example, you can create a tag group Countries that includes country-specific tags such as China, Saudi Arabia, and France.
If you include tags in multiple groups, you can expand your filtering options and analyze your Scorecards in different contexts. For example, a Scorecard with a China tag can have different contexts in groups such as Countries, Vendors, Breach Patterns, and so on.
Create a tag and tag group from a Scorecard header
- In a Scorecard header, click Edit and then select Create Tag.
- In the Create Tag dialog, enter a new tag name.
- Enter a unique group name in the text box labeled Organized in Tag Group (optional).
- Click the new group name, or press ENTER on your keyboard so that the new group name appears embedded in the box. Then click Save.
- To assign the new tag and group to your Scorecard, select the checkbox for the tag in the tag editor.
The new tag is assigned to the Scorecard.
Create a new tag group in a Portfolio or Digital Footprint asset table
In a Portfolio, you can create a tag group separately and then assign a tag to it later.
- In a Portfolio or Digital Footprint asset table, click Apply Tags. Then, in the Tagging dialog, click Create Tag.
Tip: You can also select one or more items to assign the new tag and group to before creating the tag.
- In the Create Tag dialog, enter a unique group name in the text box labeled Organized in Tag Group (optional).
- Click the new group name, or press ENTER on your keyboard.
The Tagging dialog appears again.
Assign a tag to a group in a Portfolio or Digital Footprint asset table
You can assign tags to a group immediately after creating a group, or you can do it any other time.
- In the Tagging dialog, select the tags you want to assign to the group, and hover over one of them. Then click the Edit icon.
- In the Edit Tag dialog, either scroll to find the group you want or start typing its name.
- Click the group name, or press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Note that the tag is now in the group. If you selected Scorecards to assign the tag to, select the tag's checkbox. Then click Save.
Filter and find Scorecards based on tags
After using tags to create more meaningful contexts for your Portfolio Scorecards, use those contexts to find your Scorecards:
- In the Custom Tags filter for your Portfolio, select a search operator:
- and is more restrictive because it returns only Scorecards that match all filter criteria. Use it for more specific searches.
- or is more inclusive because it returns all Scorecards that match any filter criteria. Use it for broader searches.
- Start typing the name of a tag or scroll to find a tag you want. Then select it.
Add more tags to the filter as needed.
The Portfolio displays the filtered view. The tags appear above the table and in the Tags column.
Note: If you download a .pdf or .csv file of Scorecards listed in the table, the file contains all the Scorecards in the Portfolio, even if your table displays a filtered view.
Manage tagging permissions
You can grant:
- A full set of permissions: Create, Edit, Delete, Assign
- Only Assign permissions
- Click the avatar for your user profile in the upper-right corner of the platform, and then select My Settings.
- In the Settings panel, select Users under Admin Settings.
- For a new user, click Create User.
For an existing user, click Edit for that user.
- Enter their name and corporate email address.
- To restrict their permissions to tagging operations, select the Restricted base role and then select the tagging-related add-on permissions. Then click Add or Save.
Note: If you assign User-level permissions to an account, all tagging permissions are automatically granted to that account. You can change those permissions if you want. Guests do not have tagging permissions.
Can other organizations see my tags?
No. They are only visible to your organization.
Can I limit a tag's visibility to a specific person or team within my organization?
Currently, any tag you create is visible to your entire organization.
Is there a limit to the number of tags I can assign to a Scorecard?
There is no limit.
Is there a limit to the number of tags I can upload in a .csv file?
There is no limit.
What happens if I try to upload a file with an extension other than .csv?
You see an error and the upload does not occur.
What happens if I upload a tag with a duplicate name?
Because tags are unique within your organization, any duplicates are discarded.
Give feedback or get help
If you need help, have questions, or would like to give feedback about tagging, submit a Support request.